The Executive Committee is the decision making body for the Progressive MS Alliance and has the authority to act on its behalf. It leads all aspects of the Alliance including planning and budgeting, scientific review, research funding, communications and fundraising.
Voting members are:
- Peer Baneke CEO, MS International Federation
- Mario Battaglia CEO, Associazione Italiana Sclerosi Multipla (Italy)
- Dr. Matthew Miles CEO, MS Research Australia
- Michelle Mitchell CEO, MS Society (UK)
- Yves Savoie CEO, Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
- Cynthia Zagieboylo (Chair) President and CEO, National Multiple Sclerosis Society (USA)
Each member has an equal vote and the Chair has an extra vote in the event of a tie. However, all efforts are made to reach consensus.
- Klaus Høm CEO, Scleroseforeningen (Denmark)
Scientific Steering Committee
The Scientific Steering Committee consists of staff and volunteers (scientific experts and people with MS) appointed by Alliance members. It guides the scientific direction and research activities of the Alliance and oversees the work of the Scientific Review Committees and the Scientific Operations Work Group.
Members of the Scientific Steering Committee:
CHAIR: Alan Thompson University College London Faculty of Brain Sciences, UK
VICE-CHAIR: Giancarlo Comi Director of the Department of Neurology, Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Italy
- Bruce Bebo Executive Vice President, Research, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Sorrel Bickley Head of Biomedical Research, MS Society, UK
- William Carroll Neurologist, MS Research Australia Board Director, MS Society of Western Australia, First Vice President of World Federation of Neurologists
- Dhia Chandraratna Head of International Medical and Scientific Research, MS International Federation
- Timothy Coetzee Executive Vice President and Chief Advocacy, Services and Research Officer, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Alexis Donnelly Living with primary progressive MS, Ireland
- Anthony Feinstein Professor of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Neuropsychiatrist, Sunnybrook Hospital, CA
- Robert Fox Medical Director, Mellen Center for MS, Cleveland Clinic, USA
- Reinhard Hohlfeld Professor, Institute of Clinical Neuroimmunology, Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich, Germany
- Raj Kapoor Consultant Neurologist, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, UK
- Douglas Landsman Associate Vice President, Biomedical Research, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Karen Lee VP of Research, MS Society of Canada
- Catherine Lubetzki Professor of Neurology, Pierre and Marie Curie University and Head of the Neurology Department, Salpêtrière Hospital, Paris, France
- Lisa Melton Head of Research, MS Research Australia
- Xavier Montalban Chair of Neurology-Neuroimmunology, Hospital Universitari Vall d’Hebron, Spain
- Marco Salvetti Director, Center of Neurology and Experimental Therapies, La Sapienza University, Italy
- Caroline Sincock Living with secondary progressive MS, UK
- Kathryn Smith Managing Director, Fast Forward LLC, USA
- Jonathan Strum Caring for wife living with secondary progressive MS, USA
- Per Soelberg Sørensen Professor of Neurology, Danish Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Paola Zaratin Director of Scientific Research Department, Associazione Italiana Sclerosi Multipla
Involvement of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry is fundamental in achieving the mission of the Alliance. This sector has the capacity to contribute knowledge and resources needed to drive drug discovery and development in progressive MS. Industry participates in the work of the Alliance through the Industry Forum, the venue for industry to provide advice and recommendations to the Alliance Scientific Steering Committee and contribute financial support towards the ongoing research initiatives of the Alliance.
Collaborating members of the Industry Forum:
- Giancarlo Comi (Co-Chair) Director of the Department of Neurology, Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Italy
- Mike Panzara (Co-Chair) Franchise Lead Neurology, WAVE Life Sciences
- Biogen, EMD Serono, Genentech, a Member of the Roche Group, Sanofi Genzyme, Novartis AG, Teva
- MedDay Pharmaceuticals
Scientific Review Committees
The Scientific Review Committees comprise staff and volunteer scientific experts in the field that is the subject of the funding focus, as well as volunteers with MS. They review proposals submitted to the Alliance and identify the ones with the highest scientific merit and alignment with Alliance priorities. These committees are accountable to the Scientific Steering Committee.
Scientific Operations Work Team
The Scientific Operations Work Team supports the Scientific Steering Committee, coordinates research strategy development, implements funding envelopes, manages scientific review, implements funding decisions and oversees financial and administrative aspects of the Alliance and the research portfolio.
The Scientific Operations Work Team is co-chaired by Alan Thompson, MD, Dean of the Faculty of Brain Sciences, University College London and Timothy Coetzee, PhD, Chief Advocacy, Services, and Research Officer, National MS Society (USA).
Communications Work Team
The Communications Work Team guides and implements the marketing and communications plan and activities of the Alliance. It is chaired by Sherri Giger, Executive Vice President, Marketing, National MS Society (USA).
Fundraising Work Team
The Fundraising Work Team develops and directs the fundraising plan and activities of the Alliance. It is chaired by Graham McReynolds, Chief Marketing and Development Officer, National MS Society (USA).
Finance Work Team
The Progressive MS Alliance Senior Director of Operations is Shawna GoldenFind out how your organisation can join the Alliance